This is the first of my Resto-Shaman Guides to Zul’Aman. These guides are geared specifically for Shamans but may be beneficial for any healer that is asked to heal this raid.
Zul’Aman is a tier 4.5 raid. Normally, ZA would be run by guilds that have been raiding tier 5 content, but it can be started with a good raid in full Karazhan/Badge loot.
From the ringing of the gong, your raid has 20 minutes to get to and kill Nalorakk before he sacrifices his prisoner. If you do so you will be rewarded with a chest granting the raid one piece of extra loot.
The trash mobs leading to Nalorakk are pretty standard. You should focus on healing your tank, while using the occasional chain heal to top of the raid. Keep an eye on the mages. Sheeping can be dangerous business and they should be kept up for both their CC and DPS.
When you get to Naloraak you will be faced with four waves of mobs while he retreats to the top of his realm. Again, there is nothing specific for this than earth shielding your tank and keeping him up.
Once all the trash is cleared only Nalorakk will remain and there should be about 10 minutes left on the sacrifice time.
First, let’s get an idea about what our mad healing skills will be dealing with.
Troll Form :
- Mangle: All bleed effects cause 100% additional damage
- Surge: An Attumen-like Charge ability, hits plate ~1500, hits cloth ~3500
- Brutal Swipe: A cleave-like ability which does 11-14k damage on plate (~30k unmitigated); can be divided evenly between two targets
- Lacerating Slash: Bleeding for 1735 damage every 2 sec. (18 sec duration)
- Rend Flesh: Bleeding for 2335 damage every 1 sec. (5 sec duration)
- Deafening Roar: Deals 1235 to 1365 physical damage and silences enemies for 2 sec
Ouch! He hits hard and fast. I have seen a druid tank go from 25k hp to about 2khp in a second. Now, let’s go over your roll as a shaman.
- Standard totems for your group make up (melee/caster). If you are in the tank group drop Grace of Air for added avoidance.
- Drop Mana Tide when around 50% after using your first pot.
- Drop Fire Elemental at 20% for added DPS.
- Earth shield each tank, first the tank on troll form then quickly earth shielding the bear tank during transition.
- Heal proactively. To keep the tank up, it will take at least 2 healers casting non stop and each healer should be casting heals before damage is taken and interrupting if not needed.
- After deafening roar, use LHW to get quick heals to get the tank’s health back up.
- Keep earth shield up at all times, this will help during the Deafening Roar when you are silenced.
- If you are the third/raid healer, spam chain heal to keep both tanks topped off brutal swipe.
· Blood Lust at 20%
Non Shaman Tips:
- Use Amplify Magic, Nalorakk does not use any magic attacks.
- Keep one person at max range, specifically a hunter to take the charge.
The fight is primarily a healing/tanking check whose main challenges are handling the brutal swipe, keeping tanks topped off during silences, and tank transitioning correctly to avoid Mangled bleeds on a single tank.
Killing this boss will add 15 minutes to the sacrifice timer.
Resto Shaman Loot:
Hopefully you have been able to get Nalorakk down before the sacrifice timer, if not don’t worry about it, you can try again in a few days. Now it is time to quickly eat/drink and make your way to Akil’zon and what we lovingly refer to as “The Gauntlet”.